Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Writing Makes Me Feel Like a Time Lord

I'm working on a new short story…kind of a "prequel" to Bleeding Hearts. I don't have any intention of turning it into a novel, though. This is one short story that is going to stay short. *grin*
It's funny…I feel a bit like Doctor Who when I'm writing in the Demimonde series--that's because I don't just try to imagine where the story is going. I also have to figure out where it's been.
Where did Sophie come from? What shaped her current mindset and emotional health? I know many of those answers because the story is told from her point of view. She tells us a lot about herself in those books.
But what about the other characters?
For me, this is the best part about writing a series. I don't just write the stories--I also write the history books that brought them all to the doorstep of the very first book. Like Doctor Who, I see the past, the present, and the future--all at the same time. Many people might assume that writing a series entails following a string of events with the strict progression of cause to effect but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly... timey-wimey... stuff.
And, considering the longevity of my demivampires, that means there is potential for a lot of backstories. (Knowing my inability to keep short stories on the short side, I have been compiling notes on a true prequel, but that's another story altogether.)
This Demimonde short story "The Scent of Hope" will be available in a sneak peek in a future newsletter. You can be one of the first ones to read it when you sign up for the newsletter using the form on the right side…because it's my way of saying THANK YOU for all your support.
 
Can't see the sign-up form on your mobile? Click here to go right to the form. 
 
And because I am now thoroughly stuck in Doctor Who mode, I might just have to go watch one of my favorite clips of the Doctor and Donna...em, I mean Mr. Logan and Lauren Cooper. (You're welcome *mwah*)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!